The list of functions of the human pancreas includes the production of most digestive enzymes, without which the normal course of life processes of the gastrointestinal tract, as well as insulin synthesis. When a malfunction of this organ occurs, pancreatitis develops. This disease is an inflammation of the pancreas, usually caused by the cessation of normal enzyme secretion.
Features of nutrition in acute and chronic pancreatitis
In the absence of pathologies in the body, enzymes enter the intestine, but due to pancreatitis, they remain inside this organ, beginning to gradually corrode its inner lining. Quite often patients with pancreatitis develop intoxication, as a result of which intestinal particles and enzyme residues enter the blood. The acute course of the disease usually ends with surgery if therapy and diet do not give the desired results.
Chronic pancreatitis is usually caused by overeating, alcohol or drug abuse, the use of hormonal or estrogenic drugs, as well as existing diseases of the gallbladder and liver. In two types of this disease, gastroenterologists recommend that you adhere to a special diet for pancreatitis, which includes compiling an approximate menu.
Acute pancreatitis: diet menu for the week
To normalize the patient's body condition, the dietitian prescribes a special therapeutic food to eliminate swelling and inflammation in the pancreas. In addition to drug treatment, short-term fasting is prescribed, thanks to which surgery can be avoided. During fasting, gastric juice stops being produced and the activity of enzymes also decreases, which will help the damaged organ to recover after a few days.
In the first days of such fasting it is recommended to drink mineral healing water without gas, diluted green tea or rosehip broth in small portions several times a day. Drinking will help prevent dehydration, but once you get out of fasting, you should gradually switch to eating. In the presence of acute pancreatitis, a strict diet is followed, the menu for the week should be compiled by a specialist. The standard 5-day diet includes the following foods:
- dry bread or wheat flour bread;
- liquid jellies or fruit drinks;
- slimy broth of rice or oatmeal;
- liquid mashed potatoes without added oil;
- cereal puree, such as oatmeal, rice, semolina or buckwheat;
- dry biscuits;
- bread or biscuits.
After 6 days, other foods and drinks can be added to the pancreatitis menu. This can be black or green tea, sweetened with a small amount of sugar or honey with the addition of milk, beet juice with a small amount of mineral water. The list of allowed dishes includes:
- steamed protein omelet;
- cottage cheese souffle;
- ground or minced;
- liquid slimy soups;
- mousses and jellies of strawberries or apples;
- steamed vegetable puree and butter-free puddings.
Sample menu for pancreatitis for a week
The diet for acute pancreatitis should be quite strict, so the patient should adhere to the menu prepared for him for a week. An example of such a diet is presented below, but the exact list of dishes should be agreed with the doctor.
- Breakfast. Liquid porridge of rice or semolina, a fruit, such as orange, pear or apple, weak tea with the addition of honey.
- Late breakfast. Pumpkin puree puree, steamed fish or minced chicken cutlets, rosehip broth.
- Lunch. Fish or beef broth, mashed potatoes, dry white bread, baked apple as a dessert.
- Afternoon breakfast. A small portion of cottage cheese and weak tea with the addition of honey.
- Dinner. Steamed protein omelet, dry white bread, mashed vegetables.
- Breakfast. Dairy oatmeal, jelly or tea (green or black).
- Late breakfast. Puree of apple puree mixed with cottage cheese.
- Lunch. Puree soup based on broccoli or cauliflower, steamed chicken meatballs.
- Afternoon breakfast. Dry biscuits and green tea.
- Dinner. Rice or cottage cheese pudding, jelly or tea.
- Breakfast. Liquid rice-based porridge, green tea with a dry cookie.
- Late breakfast. Baked apple with honey or cottage cheese.
- Lunch. Vegetable soup based on cauliflower, potatoes, green peas or carrots in combination with meatballs, dried fruit compote.
- Afternoon breakfast. Cottage cheese puree and weak tea.
- Dinner. Lean fish, roasted or steamed.
The sample menu may include special recipes recommended for pancreatic pancreatitis. To prevent worsening of the condition, each of the components of a dish should be agreed with a doctor or nutritionist, who usually recommend themselves to prepare specific first and second courses, as well as special desserts.
Pumpkin and carrot puree
To prepare such a diet puree, you need 400 grams of pumpkin and two carrots, they must be peeled and cut into medium cubes. Then the vegetables are boiled in boiling water until soft enough. At the end of cooking, the water from the pan can be drained completely or partially to obtain a thinner mass. Using a blender, you need to turn the vegetables into a homogeneous mass and serve.
To make liquid puree soup, you need to take half a kilo of each lean fish, such as cod, hake, pike or flounder, one and a half liters of water, a teaspoon of butter and 50 ml of milk. Fish fillets are finely chopped and boiled in water or vegetable broth until soft. Bring the preheated milk with the melted butter to a boil separately, pour in the fish stock and add the fillets, then cook everything together for a few minutes.
It is worth remembering that in the acute form of pancreatitis it is strictly forbidden to eat fatty and fried foods, foods that stimulate fermentation in the digestive tract, to drink alcohol, yeast, kefir and carbonated beverages.
Menu for inflammation of the pancreas
Regarding the diet for pancreatitis and the sample menu, many gastroenterologists recommend adhering to the well-known diet No. 5, which is usually prescribed after the patient's condition improves in the acute form of the disease. Foods allowed as part of the diet can be safely included in the diet after fasting. Usually such a diet is divided into two stages, each of which is different in time.
In the process of the first stage you can take pureed food only for two weeks, after it is over, the patient is transferred to the second, less strict option from the menu, it lasts at least six to eight months. In the first stage you can eat liquid unsalted dishes with a predominance of carbohydrates, drink fruit drinks, juices, rosehip decoction with the addition of honey or sugar. Fatty, fried or salty foods are strictly forbidden.
After the fifth day of the diet, calories should be gradually increased, but at the same time fat intake should be limited. From the sixth to the ninth day of such a diet, the total caloric content of foods eaten per day should not exceed 1000 calories. After the tenth, the number of calories may increase and the patient is transferred to the second variant of the diet for pancreatitis for a week.
Nutrition in the chronic form of the disease
Pancreatitis often becomes a chronic form, in which case special diets for pancreatic pancreatitis are more appropriate than ever, thanks to which it is possible to completely normalize the condition of the gastrointestinal tract. Typical seizures periodically occur due to poor nutrition, especially if the list of dishes includes forbidden foods, including boiled eggs, pastries, chocolate, milk, soda and other similar foods. Symptoms of the disease are bloating, noticeable heaviness after the next meal, frequent vomiting. Quite often chronic pancreatitis provokes the appearance of diabetes mellitus, especially in cases where the patient did not go to the doctor on time and did not start taking special medications.
A nutritionist or gastroenterologist must develop a special menu for pancreatitis for one week, which includes light and quickly digestible food. It will be especially useful to drink mineral water without gas for two days, as well as a decoction of wild rose or weak weak tea. It is necessary to switch to a low-calorie diet as soon as possible, to prepare meals with minimal fat and carbohydrates. Food intake should be partial, it is necessary to eat at least 5-6 times a day. The list of products that make up the menu for chronic pancreatitis should include:
- wheat rusks (purchased or prepared yourself);
- liquid vegetable or cereal soups; roasted or cooked meat, including chicken, beef or rabbit;
- lean steamed fish; low-fat cottage cheese;
- unsalted and low-fat cheeses;
- semi-liquid and liquid cereals;
- vegetable puree and stew;
- baked and grated fruits;
- light jellies, mousses and compotes.
Sample menu and list of forbidden dishes
The menu for chronic pancreatitis in adults and children should certainly be varied, despite the rather strict restrictions, while it is necessary to carefully monitor compliance with daily routine and eat on time. Usually a weekly menu is compiled by a specialist who also gives the patient detailed instructions and advice, helps to choose appropriate recipes for dishes and talks about the properties of certain products. It is worth paying attention to the approximate menu for pancreatitis, which you can focus on when compiling your diet:
- Breakfast. Oatmeal with milk, rosehip decoction.
- Second breakfast. Steamed chicken or beef, weak tea.
- Lunch. Puree soup based on carrots and pumpkin, steamed fish and tea.
- Afternoon breakfast. Cottage cheese for baby food.
- Dinner. Zucchini stew with carrots, boiled chicken breast, dried fruit compote.
- Evening meal. A glass of low-fat kefir.
The diet for inflammation of the pancreas and the approximate menu suggest strict restrictions, as many foods can over-stimulate the secretion of the pancreas and the production of gastric juice. The list of prohibited products includes:
- fatty meats and fish, smoked meats, sausages and canned foods;
- meat and fish broths and mushroom soups;
- cabbage soup, borsch, okroshka;
- fatty dairy products;
- fried and boiled eggs;
- all kinds of legumes, white cabbage, radishes, onions, garlic, spinach, sorrel, eggplant, peppers and mushrooms;
- butter and flour, bakery products, pastries, chocolate;
- coffee, strong black tea, cocoa, carbonated drinks.
Recipes for chronic pancreatitis
Nutrition in pancreatic pancreatitis and the correct menu should be chosen by a specialist, patients will have to learn several new recipes that are ideal for normalizing the digestive tract.
Vegetable puree soup
To prepare it, you need one unsweetened yellow or green pepper, 200 g broccoli and cauliflower, 1 zucchini. Cut the vegetables into cubes, add 1. 5 liters of water and cook until soft. Then you have to drain the water and make mashed potatoes with a blender.
To make a healthy food loaf, you need 1 kg of apples, cut into cubes and peeled, put them in a saucepan, add water and leave to cook. Once they are cooked enough, you need to remove the pan from the heat, drain the water and cool the apples. Then they are crushed with a blender, the resulting puree must be squeezed and the excess juice is poured into a separate container. Then the juice is boiled separately in a saucepan until thickened, add 100 g of liquid honey and cook until a syrup is obtained. Then the juice is mixed with mashed potatoes, spread the mass on a baking sheet and place in an oven preheated to 120 degrees to dry the loaf.
In most cases, the diet with pancreatitis and following a strict menu for a week give excellent results, as such a food system has a very gentle effect on the internal organs. According to doctors, according to the results of such diets, the work of the pancreas stabilizes, mainly due to a decrease in the concentration of gastric juice. Experts recommend completely eliminating alcohol during treatment and constantly following a balanced and proper diet. In addition to improving the digestive tract, thanks to the menu with inflammation of the pancreas and snacks, you can significantly lose weight and improve the general condition of the body.